Camarillo White Horses
Home | Press Room | Join Email List | Advertise | About Us | Contact Us | Sign InLivestock Of the World
Livestock
Breeds Of
Livestock Home
Alpacas
Alpacas
Bison
Bison
Cattle
Cattle
Chickens
Chickens
Dogs
Dogs
Donkeys
Donkey
Emus
Emus
Goats
Goats
Horses
Horses
Llamas
Llamas
Pigs
Pigs
Rabbits
Rabbits
Emus
Sheep
Turkeys
Turkeys
Yaks
Yaks
Yaks For Sale
Learn About

Horses
   About Horses
Horses for Sale At:
   Livestock Of America
   Livestock Of Canada




Sponsors


Ranch Website

About Camarillo White HorsesAbout Camarillo White Horses



Camarillo White Horses are famous for their brilliant white color.

The story of Camarillo White horses start in 1921 when Adolfo Camarillo purchased a 9-year-old stallion named Sultan at the California State Fair in Sacramento. He then went on to breed Sultan with Morgan mares at his ranch in California up until his death in 1958. His daughter Carmen then continued breeding and showing the horses at parades and events until her death in 1987. As per her will, the horses were then sold at public auction.

Four years after the horses were auctioned off in 1987, their number had dwindled down to 11. In an attempt to save the breed and bring attention to it, the Camarillo White Horse Association was founded in 1992. To avoid inbreeding, the registry has an open stud book, requiring least one parent to be of Camarillo's original stock, but allowing the other parent to be from various breeds, including Andalusian and Standardbred bloodlines. They also maintain a separate record of non-white foals from these bloodlines. As of 2010, there were 20 Camarillo White Horses known to be living.

Camarillo White Horses have pink skin under their coat. Their coat is white from birth throughout their life. They have a compact and refined build with a small and neat head, muscular limbs, an expressive face, large eyes, and pronounced withers, laid back shoulders, a well-arched neck, and a long back. Their average weight is 1,250 pounds. The current range in height is 14.2 to nearly 17 hands. 

An international study recently determined that the Camarillo White Horse carries a unique mutations that is responsible for its consistant coat color. With two white horses (Ww) breeding, there is only a 50 percent chance of producing a living white horse (Ww). There is also a 25 percent chance of producing a non-white horse (ww), and a 25 percent chance of producing a dead foal (WW). The W gene is dominant. If a horse carries the gene, it will be white. If the horse is not white, it means the horse does not carry the white gene. It can not produce any white offspring if bred to another non-white horse. Breeders of true white horses generally cross them on non-white horses, because the statistical probability of a white foal is the same without the risk of producing a stillborn foal. In addition, because there are different genetics involved, the offspring will not carry the genes for Lethal white syndrome.

Camarillo White Horses are warmblooded and belong to the Riding group of horses. It is used for endurance riding, general riding, parades, and work. 

Horses for Sale

View Horses for Sale At

www.livestockofamerica.com/Horses/


www.livestockofCanada.com/Horses/
Livestock Of The World